Chief Administrative Officer
CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
The Municipality of Oliver Paipoonge with a year round population of 5,757, a total number of households of 2,060, an annual budget of $9,700,000 and 40 employees provides one of Northwestern Ontario’s most diverse and memorable year-round country experiences. We’re a great place to live and do business, as well as, a destination for families, artists, nature lovers, history buffs and anyone looking for a getaway.
Renowned for our farmland, rivers and rolling hills, Oliver Paipoonge contains several communities within its boundaries including Kakabeka Falls, Murillo, Rosslyn, Slate River and Stanley. Located adjacent to the City of Thunder Bay, the community provides a country experience while having ready access to amenities available in larger cities, such as an international airport, world class health care facilities, and numerous cultural, recreational and shopping experiences.
The Municipality is seeking an energetic, creative and experienced individual for the position of Chief Administrative Officer. This position also includes the role of Clerk and Deputy Treasurer.
The CAO is responsible for the overall administration of municipal operations in accordance with the objectives, policies, and plans approved by the Council. The CAO performs all the duties and exercises the powers and functions assigned by all applicable enactments or as assigned by Council.
• As the Chief Administrative Officer you will have overall responsibility for managing the day to day operations and associated functions of the Municipality.
• Reporting to the Mayor and Council, the Chief Administrative Officer will provide effective leadership, planning and management of municipal operations, in the achievement of Council’s objectives, policies and programs.
• To promote strategic development and improvement of municipal services to further enhance the community.
• To advise Council on the operations and affairs of the municipality, providing policy recommendations on all aspects of municipal operations and directing its implementation.
The ideal candidate will possess a career track record of progressively more senior positions and a combination of the following management experience, preferably in a dynamic municipal government setting:
• A solid understanding of municipal operations, legislation, financial, budgeting, infrastructure, planning and development;
• Strong leadership, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills;
• A certificate in local government management or other formal training in public administration and extensive experience in municipal administration;
• A positive record of working effectively with elected officials, community volunteers, boards and committees, and public participation processes;
• Proven experience in strategic planning, organization development, and achieving results in building teams and effective labour relations; and
• Experience or significant exposure implementing development plans, capital works and infrastructure improvement programs.
Salary and benefits are negotiable and dependent upon qualifications and experience.
For a copy of the in-depth job description, please visit our website at
Interested parties are requested to submit a personal resume, in confidence, and no later than 5:00 p.m. on
February 4, 2013 to:
Walter J Flasza, FCPA, FCA
c/o BDO Canada LLP
1095 Barton Street, Thunder Bay, ON (807) 625-4444
Electronic resumes sent to email@example.com are preferred.