Momanyi, Wilberforce take home marathon titles

Evans Maiko Momanyi crosses the finish line winning the marathon with a time of 2:27 Sunday.
Evans Maiko Momanyi crosses the finish line winning the marathon with a time of 2:27 Sunday.

No rain, no wind, but it sure is cold remarked a volunteer before the start of the marathon event for the Miles with the Giant Sunday morning.
The chilly minus-2 Celsius temperatures didn’t slow down some 85 runners taking part in the marathon event with a total of 930 competing in the five events that included: marathon, marathon-relay, half marathon, 10 kilometre run/walk and a 5-km family fun run and walk.
Defending champion Gilbert Kiptoo of Kenya was back looking for a three-peat win which was not to be.
Fellow Kenyan Evans Maiko Momanyi (now of Hamilton, Ont.) won the marathon with a time of 2:27, outpacing Gilbert Kiptoo, who finished in second place with a time of 2:34.
Momanyi said, “I am happy with my time, the course was nice and organized. The cold was hard when we started but much better then last year. We have to say thank you to all the people, they are so nice. I will be back next year.”
Third-place runner Mark Maronese of Thunder Bay finished with a time 2:41.
“All things considered I’m happy with my time which is about a minute faster then last year,” said Maronese.
Maronese was third last year as well.
Thunder Bay runner Nikki Wilberforce was the women’s marathon winner with a time of 3:05.
Barry Streib, president and chair of the Thunder Bay Marathon/Miles with the Giant said, “I’m excited about this year, No. 1 the weather is perfect, a little chilly this morning but it’s sunny, it’s bright, great view of Marina Park, it’s fabulous for the runners to see this whole area. The start of the race went off very well, se we are really happy we have about 920 total registrations this year which is consistent with what we did last year. We have the full marathon course intact, same as last year, so the runners are happy about that.”
Streib added, “Set-up this morning went very smoothly. The volunteers are out doing their job at the barricades, city police are doing a great job making sure everything is okay. We have over 200 volunteers and I have to give credit to these folks that come out so early in the morning.”