PORTLAND, Ore. - A paralyzed collie just moments from being euthanized and his Oregon owners have more days to share thanks to a sharp-eyed vet intern who spotted the culprit - a tick.
KPTV in Portland reports (https://is.gd/ilDKmI ) that Ollie's owner Falline Fate says a thorough check at the vet revealed no answers to why he couldn't stand, walk or do everything else a dog needs to do. So they made the tough decision to let him go.
But just before he was to be put to sleep, a tick was discovered behind the dog's ear.
Aside from an unflattering haircut, Ollie was back to his energetic self about 10 hours after the tick was removed.
Now Ollie is doing well and back with his family.
Dr. Adam Stone explained that paralysis from ticks is pretty rare. He recommends using several different methods to prevent them, such as oral and topical treatment, in addition to a collar.
Information from: KPTV-TV, http://www.kptv.com/