The Thunder Bay Chronicle Journal is the area’s only daily newspaper, reaching 60 communities across 1,200 km, with distribution covering more than 2/3 of Ontario's’ geographic area.
Fort William - Daily Times Journal
The name of our newspaper preserves a part of the local history going back to 1880 with the Fort William Herald and Thunder Bay Mining and Lumbering Journal. In 1886, the name was changed for a short while to The Fort William Echo, changing again a year later to The Fort William Journal and Thunder Bay Mining News. It subsequently joined in 1899 with the Fort William Times to become The Daily Times-Journal, residing at 115 N. May Street. Of note, The Daily Times-Journal in 1902 became the second newspaper in Canada to adopt the weekly payment plan for newsboy carriers. Under this new system the carrier boy functioned as “little merchants” which implies that they were not newspaper employees but in fact were junior selfemployed businessmen. (The Vancouver Province was the inaugurator of this new system).
The Daily Times-Journal was sold by majority owner Mrs. Charlotte Dow Murphy, widow of Frank Murphy, to Thomson Newspapers in September 1962.
Port Arthur - News-Chronicle
The Chronicle was founded in 1899 probably shortly after the last issue of the Weekly Herald in 1899. The Chronicle ran as a daily for nine months and thereafter for eighteen months as a semi-weekly. It began as a 5 col. newspaper in small format but changed to a large format 6 col. publication sometime before July 1902. Sometime between 1906 and November 1908 it changed to 7 cols. The newspapers were called in succession The Chronicle and Evening Chronicle prior to the merger in 1916.
Its first location was in the office previously occupied by The Weekly Herald on the north side of Arthur Street (currently Red River Road) between what used to be McNulty’s Limited and Zellers Limited. Later, The Chronicle put up its own building at the corner of St. Paul and Cooke Street.
After its merger with the Daily News in 1916, it was relocated in the Daily News building on Lorne Street.
The facts of ownership of The Chronicle are very interesting. Operated and presumably owned by Frank B. Allen since early 1899 The Chronicle was purchased either in whole or in part somewhere around the year 1914 by John R. Smith, elsewhere described in detail as proprietor of the Terminal Publishing Company in Fort. Although the immediate details are missing it is understood that the newspaper then fell into the hands of the Bank of Commerce in 1915. In any event, the Evening Chronicle was purchased from the bank by E.B. MacKay, by the aforementioned Frank B. Allen and by Duncan Robert Harrison, and was immediately merged with the Daily News to become the Daily News-Chronicle with the first issue 18 February 1916.
On November 11, 1916 the name changed from the Daily News Chronicle to The News-Chronicle. The newspaper continued to function in the same location on Lorne Street for 39 years, until 1955 – 4 years after its purchase in 1951 by Thomson Newspapers Ltd. when it moved into the former Customs Building built in 1914 by the Federal Government located on the corners of Water & Arthur Streets (currently Red River Road).
City of Thunder Bay - The Chronicle-Journal and The Times-News
In July 1972, two years after the cities amalgamated, The News-Chronicle merged with The Daily Times-Journal, and took parts of the names of their predecessors to become the The Chronicle-Journal and The Times-News newspapers. Both newspapers ran out of the old News-Chronicle building. The move to this present building on 75 S. Cumberland Street took place in February 1977. The first editions were on February 14, 1977. New Compugraphic cold type equipment and a new Goss Urbanite press was implemented at this time.
In October 1985, the front end system was upgraded once again with the introduction of Hastech photocomposition equipment.
The Chronicle-Journal and The Times-News combined, on Saturday’s only, for a premium Saturday edition with a.m. delivery in October 1989. This was the same month that a Sunday newspaper was first launched, along with the opening of the Marathon and Dryden bureaus.
On April 17, 1996 the morning Times-News was merged with the evening Chronicle-Journal, launching the new 8 a.m. city delivered - Newspaper of the Northwest, keeping the evening newspaper name The Chronicle-Journal. On this date, the newspaper also changed to 25” web with a complete redesign of pages and masthead.
Earlier, on January 2, 1996, the newspaper went live, when a million dollars was spent on state of the art technology to replace the entire front-end system to Macintosh from the Hastech system. This equipment placed the newspaper on the leading edge of the industry at that time.
In February of 1999, a million-dollar state of the art Alphaliner inserting machine was installed in our mailroom which mechanically inserts preprints and flyers into the newspaper. This equipment moved us from a manual mailroom and inserting department into a high efficiency, low cost environment. This new technology to this day offers us quicker turn around, more flexible distribution services, at the lowest cost to ourselves and to our clients.
On February 2, 2001, Horizon Operations (Canada) Ltd. purchased The Chronicle-Journal from Thomson Newspapers. This followed the announcement on February 15, 2000 that Thomson Corporate was selling most of its newspaper operations in order to intensify its emphasis on its global e-information and solutions business.
Horizon, 100% Canadian owned, is a leading publisher of daily and community newspapers in Canada and the United States.
On February 3, 2009, The Chronicle-Journal changed to 23” web from 25” with a complete redesign of pages and masthead.