Nipigon’s Albert Brennen won the lake trout category with his massive 27-pound lake trout during the 53rd annual Nipigon Fall Fishing Festival, which was a success despite the rainy weather. In fact, the weather may have been part of the reason for some very large fish entries. Entered were 13 walleye, 10 rainbow trout, nine lake trout 15 pike and 21 salmon. In the kids Huck Fin derby, 70 fish were entered ranging from perch to bass to pike. It was a busy weekend with slo-pitch, booths, auctions, draws, games, food and shows that included BMX riders and acrobat performers. Other fishing winners were Petri Nurmela (salmon, 20 pounds), Stacey Remenda (rainbow trout, six pounds), Budsy Mannila (pike, 20.9 pounds), Linda Lynch (walleye, eight pounds). Kaili Phillips won the Huck Fin with her biggest perch entry and a trophy presented by Ian Brennen.
- Virus spreads, deaths expected
- COVID-19 cases keep rising in Thunder Bay District
- 5 new COVID-19 cases
- Hardware stores strive to sell during pandemic
- Birthday wishes during crisis
- Thunder Bay District's case count keeps climbing
- Patient returns to hospital with COVID-19
- Resolute helps response fund
- A story of grief in the midst of COVID-19
- Some city workers being paid while not at work
- Summit Series star, longtime Blackhawks defenceman Pat Stapleton dead at 79
- US job losses surge as world leaders urge Easter distancing
- In abrupt about-face, UFC halts shows in face of COVID-19 pandemic
- B.C. ramps up mental health support for front-line health care workers, families
- Saskatchewan premier doesn't see need for Emergencies Act in COVID-19 fight
- Shaw suspends share buybacks amid economic uncertainty caused by COVID-19 impact
- Champagne defends amended Saudi-Canadian arms deal, says rights concerns remain
- Oil-producing nations seek global deal to stabilize market
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Receive daily headlines on local news, sports, entertainment, and more right to your inbox. Sign up now!