Opening remarks from Mayor Erwin Butikofer of the Municipality of Neebing during Thursday’s Community Picnic at the Municipal Office held to acknowledge the first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation:
“I would like to begin by acknowledging that we are in the Robinson-Superior Treaty territory and that the land on which we are gathering is the traditional territory of the Anishinaabeg, the Metis and Fort William First Nation.
Today marks the first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation. The day honours the lost children and survivors of residential schools, their families and communities. It is important to remember how important family is. When the children were taken from their homes it had a huge impact on communities. Parents and grandparents were sad and lonely without any children around. The whole circle of life was broken. This destruction of family, culture and community went on for 150 years, generation after generation. We are not here to lay blame or guilt but to move ahead on truth and reconciliation. We need to learn and we need to listen.”
Cindy Crowe, Elder, Lodge Keeper from Blue Sky Community Healing Centre conducted the opening smudging ceremony, and was available to answer any questions from the community.
Also joining Mayor Butikofer for opening remarks was MPP Judith Monteith-Farrell for Thunder Bay-Atikokan.
- House winner gets tour
- New racing team sets tone for 2022 season
- Give Trudeau a break: Critics often ignore his successes
- Sutherland cashes in on new house
- Silver Islet General Store to get facelift
- U.S. excited to welcome back Canadians
- Meals almost double
- Journey to Life Centre producing results
- Program backed by Twain
- Murder probe begins following fire at residence
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.
- Canucks score twice in shootout, beat Flyers 5-4
- Beaudin, Pezetta and Dea all have goal, assist as Rocket open AHL season with victory
- B.C. regional district cancels wastewater treatment plant deal after delays
- More than 90 snakes found under Northern California home
- Military's human resources officer under investigation for 'historic' sex misconduct
- Authorities call fatal stabbing of UK lawmaker terrorist act
- Guest lineups for the Sunday news shows
- Chicago mayor takes police union head to court over vaccines
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Receive daily headlines on local news, sports, entertainment, and more right to your inbox. Sign up now!